Investing Wisely in 2024: Cybersecurity
Investing Wisely in 2024: Cybersecurity
Does your organization use technology? Do you store client, employee, and confidential data?
Few can say no, as business are efficiently scaled using digital tools to automate operations, store data, and communicate internally and externally.
1. The advancement of digital tools (including AI) creates new avenues for cybercrime if your network is not tested.
2. Increased automation may foster an “out of sight, out of mind” attitude toward cybersecurity.
3. Evidence-based cybersecurity planning reduces your chance of a data breach, reputational damage, financial loss, etc.
One of the most efficient ways to uncover cyber risks and make systematic improvements to cybersecurity is to invest in a proactive security test. This is an independent assessment of the technologies used by an organization to find weaknesses before a malicious hacker exploits the vulnerability.
While there are several types of penetration tests, let’s break down a Network Penetration Test (This one applies to the largest number of organizations!).
- Focusing on communication pathways, Network Penetration Testing safely simulates the path a malicious hacker could use to compromise your organization. Targets include firewalls, routers, switches, and servers.
- Ethical Hacking teams attempt to move laterally in the network to seize system traffic, passwords, uncover sensitive data and safely mount an attack to uncover the path cyber criminals use to exploit untested organizations.
- Penetration testing is an efficient way to pinpoint where your most critical cyber risks are hiding.
- You can verify the response time and effectiveness of current security measures.
- A thorough, manual security test reduces security gaps that could lead to data loss, ransomware, and denial of service attacks.
- Learn difference between a manual test vs an automated scan here.
- The results clearly define where you should focus your time, money, and effort to reduce cyber risks.
- Some Ethical Hacking teams provide the results for technical AND non-technical audiences.
- Certain compliance standards may require or recommend retesting
- PCI DSS
- SOC 2
- ISO 27001
- New vulnerabilities occur throughout the year, creating more pathways for malicious hackers.
- It ensures that security measures work thoroughly as digital environments change.
- Cybersecurity culture develops as individuals recognize the importance / investment made.
Some boxes we highly recommend checking off throughout 2024 are…
- Assess your current security posture.
- When was the last security test performed? What type? What were the results?
- Stay informed about industry regulations and compliance standards.
- Subscribe to updates regarding compliance standards that apply to your organization.
- Anticipate general cybersecurity expectations of B2B and B2C engagements.
- Determine if your cybersecurity practices are scaled for organization size and complexity.
- Goals, budget, and timeline differ between organizations, so scale your cybersecurity accordingly.
- Consider the sensitivity of data you store, potential monetary loss, and other repercussions.
- Identify the cause of previous cybersecurity incidents.
- If you have experienced a cyber-attack, what was the cause? How did your organization respond?
In the diverse landscape of cybersecurity, two distinct yet collaborative providers play pivotal roles in defending your digital space: IT Providers and Ethical Hackers. While their ultimate goal is to enhance the security posture of organizations, they approach the task…
More digital tools = more cyber risks. Does your organization use technology? Do you store client, employee, and confidential data? Few can say no, as business are efficiently scaled using digital tools to automate operations, store data, and communicate internally…
The 7 important cybersecurity strategies you can implement TODAY to help protect your network against malicious hackers. There were 28,775 known vulnerabilities in 2023, which is the highest ever recorded by National Institute of Standards and Technology in the National…
39 Cybersecurity experts, including Zelvin Security’s President, Jeff Atkinson, took to LinkedIn to address the effectiveness of vulnerability scanners to proactively protect your network. What is a vulnerability scanner? These are software applications that scan a network for known vulnerabilities….
K-12 Education Cybersecurity is increasingly more important for school district officials. Security is worth the investment.
As a proud supporter of the East Tennessee Economic Council (ETEC) community, Zelvin Security presents the following information as a guide to improve the cybersecurity programs of ETEC member organizations. One of the challenges all business leaders face is finding…
These are the core values that guide the daily work of Zelvin Security, a cybersecurity consulting firm.
Because securing digital assets is as important as locking an office door. Cybersecurity isn’t just a “nice-to-have" - It’s a must to keep your financial health and reputation intact.
Strengthen the cybersecurity of third-party vendors to enhance your organizations security posture. Use the resources in this article as a starting point to implement proactive measures.
How to Efficiently Allocate Cybersecurity Funds The economy has become more reliant on digital assets than ever before. Cybercrime is at its highest. The cost and consequences of data breaches are on the rise. This means we have to…